The OIC offers the following training services to agency staff and community groups. Our training is provided free of charge.
FOI Fundamentals Series
The FOI Fundamentals Series consists of eight online modules and is aimed at State and local government officers dealing with FOI in their agency. The material covered throughout the series includes the material from the FOI Coordinators Workshop, previously offered in-house at the OIC’s premises.
Participants complete the program at their own pace at any time once enrolled.
FOI Fundamentals series is available for Western Australian State and local government officers.
NOTE: Currently there is no certificate offered for completion of the FOI Fundamentals Series.
To register go to: https://www.oic.wa.gov.au/TrainingSchedule.
Online training modules that cover the topics previously covered in our FOI Decision Writing workshops are in development.
Decision-Writing Workshops - in-person
Target Audience: Decision-makers
Purpose: To enhance decision-makers’ skills and confidence in writing a notice of decision that complies with the Freedom of Information Act 1992. Participants will be expected to already have a basic understanding of the requirements of the FOI Act. Participants will be provided with pre-workshop reading to assist their preparation. The workshop will be interactive using written exercises and discussion.
Outcome: Participants will be aware of the requirements for writing a valid notice of decision and strategies to ensure compliance with those requirements.
3.5 hours, including 20 minute break mid-workshop.
These workshops will be held on:
- Thursday the 13th of April 2023 9:00am-12:30pm – DWW-2023-1
- Monday the 10th of July 2023 9:00am-12:30pm- DWW-2023-2
- Thursday the 17th of August 2023 9:00am-12:30pm - DWW-2023-3
- Thursday the 26th of October 2023 9:00am-12:30pm - DWW-2023-4
Click here to register.
Numbers are limited.
FOI Wednesday Webinars
The OIC will offer 50-minute Zoom webinars for State and local government officers in March, May, July and September 2023. These are held via Zoom, for WA State and local government officers. These seminars provide the opportunity to hear from OIC staff on the various aspects of the obligations and opportunities under the FOI Act. Each webinar will include the opportunity to ask questions on the webinar topic.
Upcoming FOI Wednesday Webinars
- 29 March 2023 at 2pm - Third Party Case Studies
This webinar will look at a number of the Information Commissioner’s published decisions that have considered the role and/or views of third parties. How can these decisions assist you in dealing with third parties?
Click here to register (via Zoom).
FOI Wednesday webinars offered in 2022 were:
- Amendment of Personal Information - about how the right to amendment of personal information works in practice for agencies
- Open Government - Open Data in Practice – about the progress of open data in WA, the WA government's Open Data Policy and data.wa.gov.au
- Dealing with Third Parties – about agencies’ obligations to see the views of third parties.
- FOI in WA in 2021 - How Did we Fare? – about the agency FOI Statistics in 2021 and in other jurisdictions
- Open by Design Principles – discussion about dealing with information access outside of the FOI process
- Section 20 of the FOI Act – refusing to deal with an access application
- Skills for Effective Communication in the FOI Process
- What Happens on Internal and External Review?
If missed the live webinar and you would like to view a recording, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to request a link.
In-Agency Training and Briefings
Briefings and in-house training sessions for agencies and community groups may be available on request. To make enquiries please contact us at (08) 6551 7888 or email@example.com