The OIC offers the following training services to agency staff and community groups. Our training is provided free of charge.
FOI Fundamentals Series
The FOI Fundamentals Series consists of eight online modules and is aimed at State and local government officers dealing with FOI in their agency. The material covered throughout the series includes the material from the FOI Coordinators Workshop, previously offered in-house at the OIC’s premises.
Participants complete the program at their own pace at any time once enrolled.
FOI Fundamentals series is available for Western Australian State and local government officers.
NOTE: Currently there is no certificate offered for completion of the FOI Fundamentals Series.
To register go to: https://www.oic.wa.gov.au/TrainingSchedule.
Online training modules that cover the topics previously covered in our FOI Decision Writing workshops are in development.
FOI Wednesday Webinars
The OIC is offering monthly 50 minute FOI webinars via Zoom for WA State and local government officers. These will be held at 2:00pm on the fourth Wednesday of the month from March to November 2022. These seminars provide the opportunity to hear from OIC staff on the various aspects of the obligations and opportunities under the FOI Act. Each webinar will include the opportunity to ask questions on the webinar topic.
Upcoming FOI Wednesday Webinars in 2022
- 23 November 2022 at 2:00 pm – FOI Wednesday Webinar: Amendment of Personal Information
Individuals have right to apply to an agency for amendment of their personal information contained in documents of the agency it is inaccurate, incomplete, out-of-date or misleading. How does this right work in practice for agencies? Register here.
Other FOI Wednesday webinars offered this year were:
- Open Government - Open Data in Practice – about the progress of open data in WA, the WA government's Open Data Policy and data.wa.gov.au
- Dealing with Third Parties – about agencies’ obligations to see the views of third parties.
- FOI in WA in 2021 - How Did we Fare? – about the agency FOI Statistics in 2021 and in other jurisdictions
- Open by Design Principles – discussion about dealing with information access outside of the FOI process
- Section 20 of the FOI Act – refusing to deal with an access application
- Skills for Effective Communication in the FOI Process
- What Happens on Internal and External Review?
If missed the live webinar and you would like to view a recording, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to request a link.
In-person training and briefings
Briefings and in-house training sessions for agencies and community groups may be available on request. To make enquiries please contact us at (08) 6551 7888 or email@example.com.